Monday, July 1, 2013

The Adventure of Learning

Over three years ago, I began a journey of education. This involved taking a few courses at my alma mater and the life-changing year in the Youth Ministry Coaching Program. In the YMCP, I articulated one of my personal core values: be a lifelong learner:
I will be teachable, humble, curious, and ever-listening. Every situation, conversation, and person I encounter is an opportunity for growth. I'll put aside time and finances for reading, writing, thinking, and further education.
If it's a value, then I gotta live like it.

Thus, I'm putting aside time and finances to read, write, think, and pursue a graduate degree from Regent College in Vancouver. (Not to be mistaken for the other Christian educational institute with the name "Regent"). I'll pursue a Master of Arts in Theological Studies. Regent is academically rigorous, evangelical at heart, diverse and ecumenical in theology, values a missional ethos and the arts, and certainly will be a challenge. Moreover, it's an hour drive in Vancouver traffic, so the limits of my little VW Beetle will be tested.

Have I mentioned I recently acquired a 1974 VW Beetle? No? Well, I did. His name is Jim.

My first class at Regent begins today, and it's a doozy: a weeklong course through the book of 2 Corinthians with J.I. Packer. Packer has written numerous books; his most well-known is Knowing God. Here's a bit of a preview of what we may be discussing:

Weakness is the Way by J. I. Packer from Crossway on Vimeo.

Pray for me and my family as we embark on this adventure of learning. It'll be full season as I add the hat of "student" to the many hats I already wear: husband, father, pastor, writer. The most important hat, the one that I need to constantly remind myself as my identity--a child of God.

1 comment:

  1. Joel, I'm glad you were able to start your time at Regent with a Dr. Packer course and... wait... you have a 1974 VW Beetle! That's awesome! I think J.I. Packer would think it's pretty awesome too, considering he still doesn't use email and has appreciation for a lot of "classics". I think I can say with confidence that Regent College, J.I. Packer and I all look forward to seeing more of you and your 74 Beetle in the coming years.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis