Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Dawn of Grace


Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
for I have put my trust in you.
Show me the way I should go,
for to you I entrust my life.
(Psalm 143:8)

We recently moved into a new apartment suite located above a garage--it's called a carriage house--on a large bluff overlooking the Fraser River. There is an enormous south-facing window that offers an incredible view of a large wooded area, with grass and trees and hills and the occasional silhouette of a horse emerging through the mist. The sun breaks through the trees each morning, like the eyelids of the heavens have peeked opened, revealing all of creation and warming the world with light.

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you.

Looking out through this window into the brightening dawn, I remember what the Lord has done, allowing my own heart to be in tune with his grace. I recall the past moments where He has proven faithful, leading me into green pastures and restoring my soul.

Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.

One of my favorite prayers is from Thomas Merton, where he confesses "I have no idea where I am going." It isn't that I'm walking haphazardly, lacking a plan or orientation. I've got plenty of plans and goals and purposes and commissions that are pointing me in a common direction. Yet when I'm honest with myself, I don't really know what the future actually holds. Knowing that He has always been faithful in the past, I can entrust Him with my unknown future.  

Every new dawn is an opportunity to remember and trust in the grace of God. What do you need to remember and entrust to God this morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis